We're igniting a data science revolution within the Australian not-for-profit sector by increasing the existing capabilities of not-for-profit organisations and connecting them with data practitioners.
Supported by Equity Trustees, our capacity building activities include:
- Upskilling social sector organisations in data science through consultations, mentoring, workshops and webinars (see our Resources for Not-for-Profits section);
- Scaling access to data science information through development and dissemination of case studies, help sheets and templates, and using our flagship projects to develop reusable tools (e.g. data analysis/visualisations, client personas, client journey analyses, etc);
- Co-locating not-for-profit organisations with a supervised, skilled team of data scientists at Our Community House (see below), as well as establishing one-on-one relationships with selected organisations;
- Fostering a community of ‘data scientists for good’ in Australia by creating a pipeline from university and corporate partners to social sector organisations and projects, and by hosting ‘data science for good’ meetups, hacks and other events;
- Identifying and fostering opportunities for not-for-profit, governmental and academic organisations to participate in joint data science projects that result in widespread application and benefit.
Many of our events take place at Our Community House, a coworking space in North Melbourne for government, business and the community sector to collaborate to create a better world, where human and economic capital blend with technology, intellect and passion to create a new generation of ideas and people who think differently and will change the world. Members of OC House also benefit from casual consultations with our in-house data scientists.