- Key lessons from our data collaboration with Taskforce — 24 June, 2020
Head of strategy at TaskForce Community Agency, a not-for-profit providing wraparound support to vulnerable people, Mike Davis shares key lessons learned from a recent collaboration with the Innovation Lab.
- Datathon for Social Good — 22 Feb–1 Mar, 2020
A recap and video of Melbourne’s first Datathon for Social Good. Participants used provided and public data to learn more about the activities and impacts Community Hubs Australia, a not-for-profit organisation that helps build social cohesion.
- Innovation Lab News - March 2020 — March 26, 2020
A summary of what we’ve been up to.
- Our Community’s data science program: Widening the circle — February 7, 2020
A summary of our social-sector data uplift activities over the past year.
- Data hackathon sparks new fundraising model for climate-change group — February 5, 2020
We hosted a data hackathon in late 2019 to explore the potential of data-driven fundraising.
- CLASSIEfier: From scikit-learn to SageMaker in multilabel text classification — February 5, 2020
The results of our experiments with different model training and deployment options using classical machine learning packages such as scikit-learn on a local computer and using pre-built models in AWS SageMaker.
- Digging for yams: Achieving data science success in the social sector — February 4, 2020
Challenges facing data scientists who seek to increase the impact of not-for-profit organisations.
- Beyond word clouds: Creating a next generation free-text analysis tool — February 3, 2020
Dr Paola Oliva-Altamirano set out to explore the possibility of automating free text analysis. She discusses her methods and results.
- Datathon for Social Good — December 16, 2019
We’re excited to announce that we’re holding Melbourne’s first datathon with a social-good focus!
- Roadmap for Not-for-Profit Governance — December 11, 2019
We’ve released the 2020 ICDA Not-for-Profit Governance Roadmap, as a result of a year long research project into the workings of the Australian not-for-profit sector, and it comes with a data visualisation to boot.
- Data visualisation: ICDA Not-for-Profit Governance Roadmap 2020 — December 4, 2019
The results of the 2020 ICDA Not-for-Profit Governance Roadmap in a data visualisation.
- Innovation Lab News - October 2019 — October 25, 2019
A summary of what we’ve been up to.
- Talking innovation: Bendigo Invention + Innovation Festival — October 2, 2019
Last month Director of Data Intelligence Sarah Barker headed to Bendigo in central Victoria to take part in the Bendigo Invention + Innovation Festival.
- VIDEO: Using machine learning to paint a picture of social sector trends — October 2, 2019
Dr Paola Oliva-Altamirano discusses the evolution of CLASSIEfier at Melbourne’s YOW! Data conference.
- Innovation Lab News - July 2019 — July 15, 2019
A summary of what we’ve been up to.
- Reflections from the lab: becoming more data driven — July 12, 2019
The last three months have been full of exploration and conversations, new ideas and partnerships. So what have we learned so far about becoming more data driven?
- Study of $100m donations pool reveals gender trends — July 2, 2019
In the wake of the end of the financial year donations rush, new research reveals there’s big differences in the way men and women give.
- CLASSIE-NZ released for comment — June 26, 2019
The first draft of CLASSIE-NZ, the taxonomy for the social sector in New Zealand, was released for comment by the Our Community Innovation Lab yesterday.
- Come up to the lab: The neuroscientist helping you do data better — June 11, 2019
Dr Nathan Mifsud was recruited from the neurosciences field to spearhead the effort to bring the power of data science to for-purpose organisations.
- Data science tutorials kick off at Our Community House — June 11, 2019
A series of low-cost data science tutorials for data-curious not-for-profits kicked off last week at Our Community’s new North Melbourne base.
- Storytelling with data: lessons from a motley team — April 15, 2019
Following the completion of the Innovation Lab’s first data storytelling project, the team reflects on the lessons learned, and outline their new ways of working which facilitate collaboration with not-for-profit organisations.
- Numbers prove LGBTIQ+ funding falls short — April 3, 2019
A new report on LGBTIQ+ funding in Australia has been released by Our Community and LGBTIQ+ collective giving group The Channel. The report details how much funding is being distributed to LGBTIQ+ communities across Australia, providing the first comprehensive snapshot of the flow of dollars from government, philanthropy and direct donations to rainbow causes.
- Gender Trends: The causes men and women prefer when donating through GiveNow — March 7, 2019
To examine donor preferences by gender, we analysed all donations made through GiveNow, one of Australia’s leading donation platforms, from March 2001 to August 2016, grouping all donations by the category of the cause they were made to. We then charted the ratios of men:women and recurring:one-off donations in an interactive visualisation.
- Northern Territory donors among the most generous in Australia — February 11, 2019
Following a recent inquiry by ABC News Northern Territory, we investigated (1) whether or not the average GiveNow donation value in the NT was not just larger, but also statistically significantly larger than the average donation in other states, and (2) the underlying reasons for the apparent generosity of NT donors.
- CLASSIEfier latest: Using machine learning to paint a picture of social sector trends — January 22, 2019
We are developing an algorithm to reduce or remove the need for manual (human) classification. Once released, CLASSIEfier will allow us to classify historical records on behalf of grantmakers and other social sector supporters.
- White Paper: Optimising Suggested Donations for GiveNow — November 27, 2018
In this white paper, we explore how suggested donations influence giving, and how not-for-profit causes can increase their giving by altering these suggested amounts.
- Our Community data scientists follow a rainbow — May 21, 2018
Our Community is doing its bit to “grow the pot of gold under the rainbow”, crunching the data to help improve the flow of funds to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex (LGBTQIA+) groups.
- Women’s Business: The role of gender in the awarding of grant — May 3, 2018
This data science project combines two of our passions: grants and gender equity. We set out to find out whether an applicant’s gender would affect the result of their application for funds.
- Our Community powers up the Outcomes Engine — April 24, 2018
Having built a system designed to make grantmakers more efficient, we now want to help you become more effective. Our "Outcomes Engine" will use modern data analytics, data visualisation and impact evaluation concepts and tools to help you analyse your funding patterns, compare them with your objectives, and track your progress towards your aims.
- OC data scientist wins international fellowship: Astrophysicist turns her mind to the grants universe — April 9, 2018
Galaxy formation? That’s nothing. Try understanding the impact of grants. Dr Paola Oliva-Altamirano, an astrophysicist, astronomer, and specialist in the creation of galaxies over billions of years, has turned her attention to something harder - data science for the social sector.
- White paper: The bias trade-off for grantmaking algorithms — March 20, 2018
This whitepaper explores a concrete example of a trade-off that can occur when developing a grantmaking algorithm. It is written for grantmakers, grantseekers and anyone else with an interest in grantmaking algorithms.
- CLASSIE 2.1: new and improved — February 5, 2018
Late last year, Our Community released a new version of CLASSIE, the data classification system that underpins an exciting array of data analytics projects. The newest release of CLASSIE (Version 2.1), now available in the SmartyGrants online grants management system, incorporates feedback received by grantmakers and others since November 2016.
- Data scientists seek perfect match — February 5, 2018
The Innovation Lab is looking for opportunities to collaborate with other social-change organisations on a data science project. The organisation whose idea is selected will get the benefit of free data science knowledge and expertise. The project will help Our Community to understand the types of data problems our members have, and exercise our team’s skills in solving them.
- Research shows why your board lacks ICT nous — November 6, 2017
New research undertaken exclusively by Our Community’s Innovation Lab shows ICT expertise on not-for-profit boards is failing to keep pace with the digital world.
- Data is the new oil, and we all need to start drilling — August 3, 2017
There’s a new currency powering social reform - data is reshaping our world. Here’s what Our Community is doing to make sure the social sector doesn’t miss out on grasping the possibilities presented by these new tools.
- Grants in Australia Survey 2017: The quest for perfection continues — July 28, 2017
The Grants in Australia Survey is the biggest research program of its kind. In 2017 we set our data scientist loose on the 1200 responses from the latest survey, as well as data from all previous years. The result is a report that digs deeper and offers more insights into grantmaking in Australia than ever before.